Monday, April 14, 2008

Carrot Apple Bran Flax Muffins

In my attempt to avoid food chemicals and preservatives and provide more nutritionally beneficial foods, I've been checking out recipes and ideas on this site. I bought flaxseed meal and bulk oat bran a while ago, and I finally made these muffins yesterday. This morning the kids proclaimed, "We want these for breakfast every day!" They are very good and super moist! This recipe is right on the Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal bag.

1-1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup flaxseed meal (found in the baking section or in bulk food aisle)
3/4 cup oat bran (again, either in baking section or bulk foods)
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1-1/2 cups carrots, shredded
2 apples, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease muffin tins or line with paper baking cups; set aside. In large bowl mix together flour, flaxseed meal, oat bran, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots, apples, raisins and nuts (if desired). Combine milk, beaten eggs and vanilla. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix. Fill muffin cups 3/4 fill. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Yields 16 regular muffins.

Our kids recommend serving these muffins for breakfast with a little yogurt and juice!

NOTE: Since it's tedious to shred the carrots and apples by hand, I'd recommend using your food processor for this! Also, if you think you'll have left over muffins for more than a day, you may want to freeze them. Sixteen muffins and four kids = four muffins per day for four days! I think next time I'll double the recipe.

1 comment:

Best Baby Gift Baskets information said...

I have made this muffin recipe for several years and I really enjoy it for breakfast.I especially like the no fat an not a lot of sugar. I have shared these muffins with my friends and they like it too. Its been referred to as healthy muffins.