Monday, March 31, 2008

Broccoli Cauliflower Salad

This is one of my veggies-our-kids-will-always-eat recipes. I love it too! With sunflower seed, craisins, golden raisins, a sweet vinegar dressing. Mmmm...qnd good for you. Sheeez, it's just too much! Since I love, love, LOVE the big knife my brother got me a few years ago, it's also a great recipe to get out all of that pent-up chopping energy you might have. If not, of course there's an alternative--get a bag of broccoli cole slaw mix!

1 head cauliflower separated into small flowerets, chopped into little pieces
1 bunch broccoli separated into flowerets, chopped into little pieces
1/3 cup chopped red onion
½ cup carrot, shredded or finely chopped
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 cup craisins
½ to 1 cup sunflower seeds &/or chopped cashews or toasted pecans
1 pkg. cooked bacon pieces
Chicken-flavored Ramen noodles, optional (don't use for a gluten-free recipe)

Dressing
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
¼-1/3 cup sugar
Ramen noodle flavor packet, optional (I don't use since it has gluten)
1/2 tsp sesame oil (just because I've been making all my dressings with this lately!)
Salt & pepper to taste

Mix first eight ingredients together; pour dressing over and mix to blend 2 hours in advance. Just before serving, break up Ramen noodles into fine pieces and mix into salad. Serves 10-12.

QUICK & EASY ALTERNATIVE: Omit the cauliflower, broccoli and carrot. Use two bags of broccoli slaw mix (with carrots).

1 comment:

roro said...

Thank you for the gluten free recipies!